CareerPro | Comprehensive Vaccine Services offers various vaccines and shot injections in the Memphis area. We can provide these in our office or for your convenience on-site.
Tuberculosis is caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium tuberculosis. It is generally spread in mucus droplets coughed out by infected people. Most people with tuberculosis show no symptoms at the time of infection. TB kills more people in the world than does any other infection.
The most common form of tuberculosis affects the lungs. Two forms of tuberculosis that become life-threatening are:
- Military TB, which means the bacteria have spread throughout the lungs and into the bloodstream
- TB meningitis (infection of the coverings of the spinal cord and/or brain by TB bacteria)
The TB vaccine is given as a shot; one dose is required. Infants may receive the vaccine soon after birth, or later, but preferably before exposure to persons with active tuberculosis. Those who receive the vaccine may still develop TB, but approximately 80% of recipients are protected from developing life-threatening forms of the disease, such as military disease and meningitis (inflammation of the brain).
This vaccine is recommended by:
- Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Thoracic Society
CareerPro offers the vaccine in the Memphis area. Our vaccine injections are fast and affordable. Please call for more information and to schedule an appointment.